Authors: Brian Lancaster

Loyal readers, spring is in the air. The time is just flying by. The weather is getting warmer, the days are getting longer, and the necklines are getting lower.

In my opinion, spring is the time of year that showcases the best of Colorado State. If you come to campus on a lovely spring day, you can count on being shown a plethora of stimuli from all different walks of life.

How do I know that it’s spring, you ask? Technically, spring has been upon us for a little less than a month, but the way I am able to truly tell the changing from winter to spring is the sudden bustle of activity on the Lory Student Center Plaza.

This increase in activity is usually jump-started by the Associated Students of CSU presidential and vice-presidential candidates campaigning for the causes they care about but conveniently forget about shortly after the election.

The suddenness of activity on the plaza is, to me, quite alarming. One day I’ll be walking to my class, perfectly aware of the one or two Greenpeace members I’ll need to avoid, and then the next day, I can’t take two steps across the plaza without tripping over a campaign sign or being force-fed Dum-Dums.

But the fun doesn’t stop as soon as the campaigns end.

People once again realize that the plaza is the ideal place to hold their gatherings, and they do so with fervor. On Monday alone I saw a group of swing dancers exhibiting their skills, a gigantic human game of Life and army recruiters, all inside the boundaries of our lovely campus plaza.

One thing that seems to be missing, though, is the gospel. So far this month, I’ve seen one of the crazies — which is my nickname for the preachers who come to campus — at the entrance to the Clark Building.

One man standing with a Bible preaching the Word is certainly a telltale sign of the coming of spring, but I don’t believe that it is truly upon us until we have a preacher on the plaza who brings a microphone and speakers.

Nothing says spring like a booming voice from the middle of campus telling us all that we’re going to burn in the fires of hell for eternity because of our sins.

As you walk through the plaza, make some time to talk to the people there. The people who decide to spend the time in this common area of campus are infinitely interesting. Even if you don’t want to talk to people on the plaza, spend some time people watching, and you’ll be in a good mood for the rest of the day.

Use your time wisely and you can get free stuff, listen to some good live music, debate theology and philosophy with a random stranger and finish up your trip with a fun time jumping rope.

But no matter what you find in the plaza when you’re walking through, you’re guaranteed some quality entertainment. My advice to you all is, if you haven’t tried it, spend some free time in the plaza. It is upon that cement sanctuary that you will experience Colorado State to the fullest.

Brian Lancaster is a senior English major. His column appears Mondays in the Collegian. Letters and feedback can be sent to letters@collegian.com.