Authors: Scott Callahan

The Tom Benich Classic at the University of Northern Colorado this weekend was postponed due to the snowstorm and has not yet been rescheduled. Still, the hammer and the discus athletes competed as originally scheduled, hosted at CSU.

The two events moved to the Jack Christiansen Track in Fort Collins because of hazardous facilities at UNC.

Head coach Brian Bedard said the moved event was a hassle for everyone involved, especially the athletes.

The rescheduled meet will have to be when all or most teams involved would be able to send athletes. CSU does not have an open weekend until May 16.

“It is frustrating for the athletes that they didn’t get to compete,” he said.

Nearly 30 men and women took part in the hammer throw, and only a small number of athletes competed in the discus invitational.

The discus competition aimed to only welcome the higher level of athletes in that event, Bedard said.

“The discus was for the best discus throwers in the region,” he said.

Two of CSU’s athletes beat the regional standard mark, despite the cold weather. Alex Godell, a senior thrower, threw the hammer over 200 feet.

On the women’s side Meagan Berg, a junior thrower, also threw her weight well over the regional mark for women, which is 178 feet.

Next weekend CSU will send 25 athletes back to Arizona State and the rest will go to CU-Boulder for the Sun Angel Invite.

Track and field beat writer Scott Callahan can be reached at sports@collegian.com.