Authors: Ashley Robinson

The work of several dozen undergraduate students’ will be on display in the Curfman Gallery Saturday at the opening of the 41st annual Undergraduate Art Exhibition.

At what coordinators called one of the gallery’s most popular events, 45 students from diverse academic backgrounds — chosen from a pool of 150 applicants — will show pieces from all artistic genres, since no requirements were imposed.

“There were no specific guidelines,” said Stanley Scott, the director of the Curfman gallery. “As long as students bring a certain level of professionalism and have well thought out ideas they get in.”

Guest jurors Petra Sertic and Daniele Robson from the Museum for Contemporary Art Denver will attend the event to award specific pieces from the show.

The Undergraduate Art Exhibition first opened at the Curfman Gallery opened in 1968. The gallery’s namesake, John H. Curfman, has worked closely with and even mentored many of the students participating in the Undergrad Exhibition over the years coordinators said.

Laura Grossett, a Print Making and Fiber Arts senior at CSU who submitted three pieces to the exhibit, said, “It’s my last year here, so yeah, I’m pretty happy that I got in especially after I didn’t last year.”

The exhibit opening is free and open to the public and is scheduled to start at 6 p.m. in the Curfman Gallery located on the main level of the Lory Student Center. The reception ends at 8 p.m. and refreshments will be served.

Select pieces from the gallery opening will be on display until May 1.

Staff writer Ashley Robinson can be reached at news@collegian.com.