Sonny Lubick Returns

Authors: Collegian Staff Report

CSU’s College of Business announced today that Sonny Lubick, heralded former CSU football coach, will return to the university as director of community leadership outreach for the college.

Lubick was fired under former CSU President Larry Penley’s leadership 18 months ago.

“The College of Business has been in the process of developing a leadership program that would strengthen our connections with K-12, business, and alumni audiences,” said CSU Business Dean Ajay Menon in a statement Wednesday.

“We needed a credible Ram voice to help lead this initiative, and it seemed like an ideal way to apply Sonny Lubick’s skills as a teacher and community-builder.”

Lubick is set to start in a week and will be charged with acting as a fundraiser for the college, mentoring through presentations to the campus and community and “promoting the value of higher education to industries and audiences throughout the state,” according to the release.

Despite the university’s ongoing hiring freeze, interim CSU President Tony Frank and interim provost Rick Miranda approved the junction with Lubick.

“Sonny Lubick is well-loved at CSU and in our community,” Frank said.

“And we have a program that will benefit greatly from his leadership. The College of Business has seen significant growth in recent years, and its national reputation is on the rise. Sonny is the right person to help enhance the program’s visibility and involvement with the greater public. I’m grateful to the Bohemian Foundation and Dean Menon for their work to make this happen.”