Authors: Matt L. Stephens

While there is still a little over a week before the Rams start spring practice, the CSU football team will need to start looking for someone to step up at the weak-side linebacker position, as redshirt sophomore Ricky Brewer has been suspended for the entire upcoming 2009 season.

On Thursday, the Athletics Department released a statement that said Brewer had violated undisclosed team rules and will continue to practice with the team with the expectation of returning to the field in 2010 as a senior.

Brewer released the following statement during the announcement of his suspension:

“I made an error in judgment, and I’m extremely sorry for what I did,” Brewer said. “I’ve apologized to my coaches and teammates, and now I’m going to do everything I can, working my tail off in the weight room and at practice, to ensure that I give Colorado State my best possible contributions in my senior year.”

In 2008, Brewer was the Rams’ second leading tackler with 103 tackles, as well as a forced fumble and four quarterback hurries.

With the graduation of Jeff Horinek and now the suspension of Brewer, a linebacker corps that looked to possibly be the best in the Mountain West Conference appears to be in jeopardy.

“It’s unfortunate, but we need to accept the consequences,” head coach Steve Fairchild said. “He’ll still be a part of our program on a daily basis in 2009. I look at it not as what he did but what he does with the situation from this point on. We’re looking forward to getting him back in uniform for what we hope is an outstanding senior year.”

Football beat reporter Matt L. Stephens can be reached at sports@collegian.com.