Authors: Collegian Staff

The university suspended star linebacker Ricky Brewer for the entire 2009 season on Thursday.

The athletic department did not specify the reason for the suspension in a released statement.

“It’s unfortunate, but we need to accept the consequences,” coach Steve Fairchild said.

Brewer apologized, but not for anything specifically.

“I made an error in judgment, and I’m extremely sorry for what I did,” Brewer said. “I’ve apologized to my coaches and teammates and now I’m going to do everything I can, working my tail off in the weight room and at practice, to ensure that I give Colorado State my best possible contributions in my senior year.”

Brewer, a former Mullen High standout, will lose a year of eligibility and would enter the 2010 season as a senior.

Brewer will still be able to practice with the team.

Brewer was named an all-conference honorable mention as a sophomore this past season after starting 12 games and leading the team in tackles per game.

He was expected to be the leader of the Rams’ defense next season after the unit lost safety Mike Pagnotta and defensive end Tommie Hill to graduation.

Brewer was cited for underage alcohol consumption during a late-night incident in August that resulted in a year-long suspension of cornerback DeAngelo Wilkinson for what the university called a “violation of team rules.”

However, Brewer has not been arrested or issued any citations by Larimer County recently, according to court records.