Authors: Matt L. Stephens

One final game is all that’s left for the CSU men’s basketball team this season, as far as the regular season goes. The Rams (7-15, 2-6 MWC) head to California to face the San Diego State Aztecs tonight, a team who is still fighting for their lives in terms of receiving a NCAA Tournament bid.

CSU, on the other hand, is still trying to claw its way out of eighth place in the Mountain West Conference standings, a position that would land them in the MWC Championship’s play-in game against Air Force on March 11. A win against SDSU (19-8, 9-5 MWC) and a TCU loss to Utah would put the Rams in seventh place, dropping TCU to eighth.

The last time CSU faced SDSU was on March 31 at Moby Arena. The Aztecs placed a 19-point beating on the Rams, winning 78-59 as SDSU shot an uncanny 57 percent from the field. The Aztec’s Lorenzo Wade scored a game-high 25 points.

Just like he was the last time the Rams and Aztecs squared off, Wade, a senior, will be the main offensive threat the Rams will have to defend. Outside of Wade, CSU will have to deal with facing an emotional Kelvin Davis, who has just been named a finalist for the V Foundation Comeback Award. Davis, also a senior, was diagnosed with Hodgkin’s lymphoma following last season and went through chemotherapy soon after.

But the Rams have something positive going for them this time around that they didn’t when they faced SDSU in Fort Collins – senior Marcus Walker and junior Harvey Perry.

During CSU’s senior night on Saturday, Walker scored a game-high 33 points, along with four assists. Perry recorded a double-double with 13 points and 10 rebounds.

Tonight’s game will be televised on The Mtn. and is set to tip off at 8 p.m.