Background

Colorado State University System is governed by a 13 member board with nine voting members, who are appointed by the Governor and confirmed by the Colorado Senate. Faculty and students from the Fort Collins and Pueblo campuses represent the four non-voting Board members. By Colorado statute, the Board of Governors has authority and responsibility for general oversight of the system and control of all funds of the system.

The CSU System is comprised of two traditional campuses and an online campus. Colorado State University in Fort Collins, a research 1 university, was founded in 1870 as the state’s land-grant institution, has four statewide service entities (Colorado State Forest Service, CSU Extension, Agricultural Experimental Center and the Colorado Water Institute), and a student body of 25,000. Colorado State – Pueblo serves as a designated Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI), with a student body of 4500. Colorado State – Global represents an online university, serving non-traditional students. All three campuses have distinct and unique missions in serving the state, region, country, and world. As provided by state statute, the Board of Governors of the Colorado State University System appoints the Chancellor of the system, who serves at the pleasure of the Board.

Duties

The Chancellor is the Chief Executive Officer of the system. As such, the Chancellor provides leadership and advocacy for the system and for higher education. The Chancellor is responsible for recommending policies, initiatives, and actions for the system. Furthermore, the Chancellor is responsible for the management of the system, including fiscal oversight and budgetary matters. The Chancellor is also responsible for compliance of system policies and all applicable state and federal requirements.

The Chancellor oversees the campus presidents and a small system staff. The Chancellor develops and implements a system strategic plan and works with the campus Presidents to facilitate the accomplishments of their approved campus strategic plans.

The Chancellor has primary responsibility for securing the resources for the system to accomplish its goals.

The Chancellor carries out the directives of the Board of Governors and performs the duties and responsibilities as may be further defined by an employment agreement.

Qualifications and Experience

* A combination of academic credentials and/or intellectual abilities sufficient to command the respect of the faculty and students along with the management skills sufficient to earn the respect of the Governor, legislature, donors, and business and civic communities.

* A strong understanding of academic values and the creative culture of higher education.

* Proven experience with operating in a political environment on local, state, regional, and federal levels.

* A commitment to appropriate and meaningful shared governance — with the Board, campus presidents, and appropriate governance groups.

* An interest in and the ability to advance the reputation of the university system at the local, state, regional, national, and international levels.

* Demonstrated ability to foster pride and loyalty through building a sense of community throughout the system.

* An ability to recruit, develop, and retain high quality presidents at the institutions and to promote a team concept with the presidents.

* A statesperson who can be a compelling ambassador for higher education, who can build robust alliances, and who can be an “influence broker” for public policy in Colorado.

* Committed to the principles and practices of diversity, inclusion, and equal opportunity at all levels.

Personal Characteristics

A proven leader with an ability to advocate vigorously for higher education as a critical component of the quality of life and of economic development in Colorado.

* An ability to garner resources from multiple sources (including state and federal government, private donors, and entrepreneurial activities). A proven resource gatherer.

* Superior interpersonal and communication skills, including listening skills that are effective with all stakeholders.

* Confident and self-secure; competitive yet collaborative; tough-minded yet warm-hearted.

* Entrepreneurial and non-bureaucratic; consensus builder; yet decisive in decision-making when needed; willingness to review and make informed decision making.

* Comfortable with complexity, ambiguity, challenges to authority, and high visibility. Works and leads confidently under pressure.

* Strong work ethic, boundless determination, strong integrity, and a sense of humor.

* A passion for the purposes of higher education and the Colorado State University System.

* An ability and willingness to listen and interact with students on all campuses.

Source: CSU Board of Governors