Authors: Collegian Editorial Board

Beer pong — sure it’s a good time and the beer, of course, is good. But what about all the dog hair, dirt, backwash, insects and other seemingly miscellaneous objects floating within the bowels of your cup?

And with the rate of oral herpes cases on the rise, according to health Web site statistics, some are waiving a critical finger at beer pong, labeling the popular drinking game a possible culprit.

According to the American Social Health Association, about 50 to 80 percent of American adults have oral herpes and 90 percent of people will have at least one outbreak by age 50.

Often herpes simplex virus-1, which is more commonly known as oral herpes, cold sores or fever blisters, can be spread through the exchange of saliva and through open cuts.

The danger of the virus is that those who contract it often do not know they are contagious and can spread it to others.

So think about it, how many times have you played the eighth game of beer pong at your friend’s house? That’s potentially eight different sets of germ-ridden lips touching that cup.

We suggest “water cup,” but for the avid beer drinker, we suggest a personal cup, which is yours to keep throughout the game. Simply pour beer in your community cups and once your opponents make a cup of yours, pour the beer into the personal cup. This way no herpes-ridden lips waste this wonderful golden commodity.

So with this CSU, we say drink up. But if you swap spit with your beer pong mates, be sure to heed our advice or set yourself up to carry the well-known fever blister forever more.