Authors: Justin Warren

After winning big last Saturday afternoon, the CSU women’s basketball team was defeated in dominate fashion 74-45 by the Utah Utes in Wednesday’s game in Salt Lake City, Utah.

“We were just slow at reacting to everything, and usually when that happens it is because you are not ready to play. Why we were not ready to play, I have no idea,” head coach Kristen Holt said. “We did not have a great practice, and we seemed really sluggish and tired. A lot of those things happen when you are not ready to play.”

The Rams came into Wednesday night’s game off a 30-point victory over the Lady Rebels of UNLV last Saturday afternoon and with a chip on their shoulder after the last meeting against the Utes.

“We got some confidence from last game and came out not ready for this game,” senior captain Kandy Beemer said. “I thought we were over that, coming out not ready and not mentally prepared. And we did it again.”

However, the Utes, playing on their home court, were too much for the Rams in a contest that was never close, defeating CSU by 29 points.

Utah led by 31 points until senior Carine Reimink connected on a layup with one minute left in the game which was the final points scored in the matchup and for the Rams.

The Utes took their biggest lead in the game by 33 after a jumper by Katie Whipple of Utah at the 12:54 mark in the game.

“We didn’t get back on D and we fouled one of the best shooting percentage teams so they made all their free throws,” freshman forward Meghan Heimstra said.

The first half concluded with the Utes holding a 23 point lead after sophomore Zoi Simmons connected on her two free throws for the Rams that negated a 5-0 run by Utah.

For the first ten minutes of the game, the Rams managed to score only five points.

The Rams then went on an 8-0 pulling to within 16 points of the Utes, which was the Rams biggest run of the night.

Utah jumped on the Rams early taking a 27-5 lead in the first 10 minutes of play while scoring the first 11 points of the game.

“I think the thing we are trying to overcome is when things don’t go our way at the beginning, we have to be able to gut it out,” coach Holt said. “We are a work in progress.”

CSU finished the game shooting 28.9 percent while Utah connected on 51.9 percent of their shots.

“They (Utah) play more of a pack defense which is something we are not used to and you cannot get in the driving lanes as well,” Beemer said. “Although shooting poor — that shows we were not mentally prepared.”

Kalee Whipple and Morgan Warburton dominated the floor for Utah. Warburton led the Utes in scoring with 27 points and seven rebounds. Whipple was second, totaling 24 points.

For the Rams no player scored in double digits. Reimink and sophomore Bonnie Barbee led CSU in scoring with eight points each. Beemer and freshman Kim Mestdagh were second in scoring with six points each.

The two freshmen, Heimstra and Chatilla Van Grinsven, lead the Rams in rebounding with 12 total rebounds.

“We need to improve ourselves again so we have a little bit more to give out our next game. Just because we came off of a win last week doesn’t mean we are going to get the next win,” Heimstra said.

Next up for the Rams will be this Saturday afternoon against the Air Force Falcons in Moby Arena.

Women’s basketball beat writer Justin Warren can be reached at sports@collegian.com.