Authors: Justin Warren

This morning the CSU men’s golf team will tee off in the John A. Burns Intercollegiate in Honolulu, Hawaii to compete for its fifth title of the season.

The tournament will carry on for the next three days, with the final round scheduled for Friday morning.

The John A. Burns Intercollegiate will be head on the 6,916 yard, 72 par Leilehua Golf Course on Schofield Barracks, Oahu.

Competing in the tournament will be three Mountain West conference schools — No. 22 UNLV, BYU, and New Mexico — along with three other top-50 schools in the nation, No. 13 Arkansas, No. 37 Texas A&M, and No. 41 Auburn.

The Rams begin the competition ranked No. 15 in the nation after winning four matches and finishing fifth in another in their first five tournaments of the 2008-2009 season.

“I thought we played really well, very consistent,” said head coach Jamie Bermel earlier this year, reflecting back on the fall season. “Now that it’s spring, it’s time to get back to work. It was nice to have the success this fall we did, but now we need to get ready to play each day. Our ultimate goal is to really be playing well toward the end of the year, defending the Mountain West title, and playing well in regionals and hopefully nationals.”

For the tournament coach Bermel is bringing his best five players, Zen Brown, Bryce Hanstad, Dustin Morris, Riley Arp, and freshman Zahkai Brown.

After taking individual honors at the Del Walker Intercollegiate on Oct. 17, 2008, Brown was named Mountain West Conference Co-Golfer of the Month, sharing the honor with fellow freshman Johan de Beer from TCU.

With six tournaments left until the MWC Championship in Tucson, Ariz., the Rams have the potential to break the school record of most tournament victories in a season.

The current record is five victories, set in the 2003-2004 season.

Next up for the golf team will be March 16 through 17 when the Rams travel to San Diego, Calif., to compete in the Barona Collegiate Cup, hosted by San Diego State.

Sports writer Justin Warren can be reached at sports@collegian.com.