I had a revelation this weekend while reading columns and articles from publications around the nation. It occurred to me that the population of the U.S. overall is the dumbest group of people on Earth.

Now, I of course don’t mean this about the individual people of the U.S.; most of the people I know are thoughtful, intelligent and somewhat-well-spoken. I mean this as a generalized observation of the group as a whole.

You may be asking yourself, “Where does he get off?” Think about it. The voters of the U.S. spent six of the last eight years witnessing the utter destruction wrought by a president with a compliant legislature of the same party.

I certainly don’t blame the population of the U.S. for demonstrating their distaste for George W. Bush last November. To vote in a rubber stamp legislature along with President Barack Obama is further proof that the U.S. voters, as a whole, are a few IQ points short of Forrest Gump-like intellect.

Take a look back through time: Democrats passed the assault weapons ban and paid the price the next election.

Ronald Reagan said in his inauguration address, “Government is not the solution to our problems; government is the problem.” He then proceeded to ask the legislature to pass a law to increase the statutory limit of the federal deficit to over $1 trillion for the first time.

Republicans and Democrats combined for the single best example of legislative stupidity, the USA PATRIOT Act.

Today we have a rubber stamp legislature, a Republican minority with zero credibility and a nation of people who think the government will solve their problems. Evidence of this lies in a 70 percent approval rating for a man who pushed through a bill to borrow more money — with a deficit — to spark an economy suffering because of government interference, while cutting taxes, discounting the entire Republican party as also-ran whiners and lavishing in the glory of being more than a mere mortal.

Last Thursday, Jon Stewart grilled former New Hampshire Sen. John Sununu regarding the Republicans newfound “religion” of fiscal responsibility.

This is the type of idiocy perpetuating the nation. I love Stewart’s humor and, in fact, defended him to family members who thought he was a left-wing hack, saying he picks on the idiocy of politics the right wing just makes it easier for him.

Now it’s obvious to me that, like most of his fellow New Yorkers, Stewart thinks government will solve any problem. Everyone knew after the election that the GOP would have to return to its roots or reinvent its image altogether; they’ve finally started saying no to the executive branch, and it’s too late.

We even had local evidence of the phenomena of “government will save us,” last week.

Two freshmen in last Friday’s Collegian news story, “Wary of Weapons,” said they didn’t see any need for someone to legally carry a firearm in school. They apparently believe that if someone decides to go on a rampage (i.e. Virginia Tech, Columbine, etc.) the CSU Police Department will magically appear on their über-Segways within seconds to stop the threat.

Next time you’re sitting in a classroom, think how many people may be hurt or killed in the next three or four minutes if someone walks in with one or several firearms and opens fire. A legally armed student is likely your only hope.

The lesson to take is that U.S. citizens believe it’s government’s responsibility to protect them from everything, provide most things and never overstep its boundaries.

This flawed philosophy relies on positive performance of the U.S. government. The same people (both parties) who brought you Vietnam, Watergate, Reaganomics, USA PATRIOT Act, income taxes, the assault weapons ban, Operation Iraqi Freedom, fluoride, national speed limits, Hurricane Katrina, inflation, Social Security (bankrupt), Medicare/Medicaid (hope it’s not serious), the Generational Theft Act (parts one and two), the Global War on Terror, Guantanamo Bay and the War on Drugs.

Seth Stern is a junior undeclared liberal arts major. His tirade appears Tuesdays in the Collegian. Send comments, criticism, denigration or scorn to letters@collegian.com.