Authors: Keith Robertson

CSU’s water polo team went 3-1 this weekend, including two conference wins, lifting the team’s overall record to 6-7, 4-0 in the Western Water Polo Association.

The Rams beat Fresno Pacific for the second time this season on Saturday, destroying the Sunbirds 11-3 in their first game of the tournament. The star of the game was freshman defender Kallie Berry, who scored three goals.

“She’s doing really well,” coach Mike Moody said. “She’s getting comfortable at the college level.”

After losing to No. 5 Cal last week, the Rams may have been skeptical of playing a ranked team. But behind Berry’s hat trick of goals the Rams were able to dominate the pool against Fresno Pacific and gain confidence before facing No. 7 UC-Davis later that day.

Unfortunately confidence was not enough as the Rams fell to the Aggies, 18-8. The Rams held on for the first two quarters of the game, leaving UC Davis with a reachable three-goal lead. However, the third quarter seemed to deflate the Rams as they allowed eight goals and the Aggies put the game out of reach.

The three goals apiece scored by sophomores Orsi Nadasdy and Ali Pavlik were not enough to secure a Ram win, but it did let the team know they can score on a national powerhouse.

“We came out and played well in the first half,” Moody said. “That third period just got away from us.”

The Rams came out the second day with a burning desire to keep their undefeated WWPA record intact —- and did exactly that.

The Rams beat California State Monterey Bay 11-5, with the help of Berry’s second hat trick of the weekend and junior Sarah Ostling’s first.

The second game on Sunday was less of a landslide as the Rams beat California State East Bay 12-11. The game came down to overtime, where Pavlik finished off the weekend with the Rams final goal, earning a winning record for the team to relish in on the trip home.

“We’re really excited,” Moody said. “Coming out of this tournament 3-1 was one of our expectations.”

The Rams will return to action next weekend as they travel to Rohnert Park, Calif. for the Sonoma State Tournament.

Sports writer Keith Robertson can be reached at sports@collegian.com.