Authors: kelly bleck

In a comedic rendition of love lives that may hit eerily close to home for some, “He’s Just Not That Into You” follows the stories, trials and tribulations of relationships.

With a big-name cast and script based on the book by comedian Greg Berhrendt and Liz Tuccillo, trailers promised instant laughter and competent acting. The laughter was evident, but not as evident as expected.

The actors live up to their expectations and portrayed their roles adequately. One downfall, not so much of the actors but of the script, was the inaccurate, sometimes demeaning portrayal of women. They were shown as needy and male-obsessed, with lines and scenes dwelling a little too long on the drama of a relationship.

Gigi (Ginnifer Goodwin) was the main character in the story line, following her initial relationship downfall as it spirals into other connections. When Gigi is set up with Conor by a co-worker, she plays the desperate, needy woman who believes the date went spectacularly.

The script focuses a little too much on the desperation and abandonment Gigi feels when Conor, despite his promise, doesn’t call her again. Gigi, instead of waiting, finds a bar he told her he frequents and asks the bartender about Conor.

A friendship ensues between Gigi and the bartender, creating a male outlet and dictionary for relationship questions.

Coinciding with Gigi’s woes, her co-workers express their relationship angst as well. Beth (Jennifer Aniston) is faced with her boyfriend’s constant avoidance of marriage. After a seven-year relationship, all Beth wants is to get married but Neil (Ben Affleck) refuses.

Of course, through all the drama of breaking up and family troubles, Beth and Neil were not destined to be separated. This version of a relationship gives hope that not every relationship ends in trouble.

Meanwhile, Janine’s (Jennifer Connelly) husband Ben (Bradley Cooper) admits to cheating, but she agrees to try to work it out which ends in failure, emphasizing that not every relationship is salvageable.

Focusing on the serious, Connelly and Cooper are the outlets for emotion and tragedy in a relationship.

The side stories expand, incorporating all of the characters that have been touched upon, each one interacting with each other and with men in intricate, well-developed ways.

Following every stereotype known for relationships, “He’s Just Not That Into You” comically focuses on the sometimes desperate tries of women and an underlying belief that men can be harsh.

Staff writer Kelly Bleck can be reached at verve@collegian.com.