Authors: Justin Warren

The CSU women’s basketball team (7-15, 2-7 MWC) is back inside Moby Arena for two consecutive games. The home stretch begins tonight, as the Rams will take on the BYU Cougars (15-5, 5-3 MWC) at 7 p.m.

“I think both of our home games we can win. They are going to be dogfights and if we play our game, I think we can do it,” said head coach Kristen Holt.

The Rams are looking to end their losing streak in MWC play that began with a defeat at the hands of Wyoming on Jan. 24.

“We can definitely beat BYU. We proved that we can play with any team in our conference,” senior Britney Minor said. “All we have to do against BYU is keep them off the o-boards and not let them penetrate on us. Their inside game was what hurt us the last time.”

The Rams come into tonight’s game after a fourth consecutive second-half comeback that fell short. CSU managed to go on a 14-0 run against the TCU Lady Frogs in Fort Worth, Texas, last Saturday, but as coach Holt phrased it, “the team just ran out of gas.”

“We did not start off good on Saturday, so we had to pay for it in (Tuesday’s) practice,” senior Britney Minor said.

The Cougars come into tonight’s game off a week-long break after winning their last two matchups against Wyoming and Air Force.

BYU has defeated the Rams in 11 consecutive meetings. CSU’s last win against the Cougars was Feb. 2, 2004.

Earlier this season the Rams lost to BYU 61-43 as Shawnee Slade led the Cougars in scoring.

BYU is led by Colorado native aMindy Nielsen, who averages 11.1 points per game along with 44 steals and 65 assists on the season.

Coach Holt will continue with the same starting lineup that began the last four games. The starting five for the Rams will be freshman Meghan Heimstra, sophomore Zoi Simmons, junior Juanise Cornell, Minor, and senior captain Kandy Beemer.

Heimstra has been performing well for the Rams after receiving a spot in coach Holt’s starting line-up on Jan. 28 against New Mexico. Heimstra has averaged 10.3 points and six rebounds in her last four games.

“I am really enjoying it a lot. Last game we did not start that good so I am ready to get back out there and give it to them (BYU),” Heimstra said. “The last couple of games have been eating at the team. They are not good and we have to come out, listen to what the coaches say, I think we will do good.”

Minor and Cornell are coming off yet another double-digit scoring performance last Saturday, as Minor tallied 11 points and Cornell scored 10 points.

Next up for CSU will be the UNLV Lady Rebels Saturday at 2 p.m. in Moby Arena.

Women’s basketball beat writer Justin Warren can be reached at sports@collegian.com.