Authors: Matt L. Stephens

Fresh off its eighth win of the season and third in Mountain West Conference play, the CSU men’s basketball team heads to Provo, Utah tonight to face the BYU Cougars at the Marriot Center. This will start a two-game road trip for the Rams.

BYU is currently in fourth place in the MWC and is 10-2 at home this season. The Cougars bring to the table one of the best shooting teams in all of college basketball, as they are averaging more than 50 percent from the field, thanks in large part to senior guard Lee Cummard, who averages 17 points and 6.5 rebounds per contest.

If CSU is to win at Provo tonight, they are going to have to shut down Cummard, who is currently on the Wooden and Naismith Award watch list and was named to the Mountain West Conference 10th Anniversary Team earlier this year. Despite the Rams having their backs against the wall, head coach Tim Miles stands firm.

“Now we start a two-game road trip and there’s probably no one other than Saint Jude who thinks we can pull it off,” Miles said. “Our kids have a chance to let their hair down and let something happen.”

The good news for CSU is that their stars are back in rhythm, with Harvey Perry, Marcus Walker and Jesse Carr all having outstanding performances against TCU. Last Saturday’s win came after a loss to San Diego State in which the trio was held under their season scoring average.

“Last time, BYU came in here (Moby Arena) and just kicked our butts,” said Carr, who is third on the team in scoring as a true freshman. “I think that we just wanna go in there and do the same thing to them. I have a lot of confidence in our team – we’re a lot different than last time we played BYU and it will be interesting to see what happens.”

Tonight’s game will be televised on The Mtn. at 6 p.m. After BYU, the Rams head to Las Vegas to take on UNLV, a team that CSU upset at Moby Arena in January.

Men’s basketball beat writer Matt L. Stephens can be reached at sports@collegian.com.