Authors: Scott Callahan

This weekend, the CSU track and field team saw success in the distance and mid-distance events at the University of Nebraska. The Rams competed in the 34th annual Husker Invitational, where they went up against nationally ranked teams Arizona, UTEP, Michigan, UCLA, Nebraska and others.

Two athletes finished first in their respective events. Freshman Michelle Dettman crossed the line at the end of a 3000-meter run in 10:10. Finishing at the top of his meet, Wil Buchanan, a junior, ran 800 meters in 1:54. Buchanan also had a fourth place finish in the mile run at 4:17.

Other high finishers were senior Kip Taylor and junior Tanesha Johnson. Taylor finished second in the 3,000-meter run at 8:40. Johnson had a second place finish in the 60-meter dash just behind Gladys Nwaubani from El Paso and fourth place finish in the triple jump.

Scott Sanders had the third place finish in the mile run. Kristen Hemphill and Nicole Peters finished back-to-back in the 3,000-meter run with less than a second between them.

In field events CSU also had success. Freshman Caston Mabin set a personal best with a jump of 6-foot-6 in the high jump.

Missy Faubus, a junior weight thrower, had a good weekend in her event where she finished fourth. She threw her weight 50-feet 8-inches, good enough to land on the women’s NCAA provisional list.

The Rams will get back to practice and prepare for next week’s meet down at the Air Force Academy for the Air Force Invitational.

Track beat writer Scott Callahan can be reached at sports@collegian.com.