Authors: Adam Bohlmeyer

Even though the CSU Rams have eight games left in the regular season, guard Marcus Walker is expecting the green and gold’s next contest to decide the team’s fate.

Following a week of rest, the Rams (7-15, 2-6 MWC) are scheduled for a return to the hardwood Saturday as they host the TCU Horned Frogs (13-8, 4-4 MWC) in the first game of the second half of the conference season.

Walker, a senior, explained just how big a win would be for CSU.

“We have had the week off and it’s the first game of the second half of conference play, so it would be huge,” he said. “It’ll be the determining factor on how the rest of conference goes. We have all the positives to make it happen.”

Rams head coach Tim Miles agreed with his leading scorer, adding that he expects the week of rest to benefit his team.

“It helps us a great deal,” the second-year CSU coach said. “We needed a little break and those byes always give you a little bit of a mental reprieve. Second of all, it allows us to take care of some things we have to take care of and gives us time to prepare for TCU.”

CSU enters Saturday’s game looking to even up the season series against the Horned Frogs. TCU bested the Rams in the pair’s first meeting earlier this season, cruising to an 81-67 victory.

Both teams enter the showdown on lengthy losing streaks, going a combined 0-6 since Jan. 24.

Rams guard Willis Gardner explained that both clubs have almost reached the point of desperation.

“It’d mean a great deal to everybody,” the senior said. “We desperately need a win, but this is a big game for them to. They are coming in hungry for a victory just like we are.”

Even though TCU has cooled off recently, Miles is expecting a tough fight, but still believes the Rams can win.

“TCU is a team that wins with intangibles in my eyes,” he said. “They are well coached by Jim Christian, they have a great post player in Kevin Langford and they really do well playing physical,” he said. “If you can make them one-dimensional and work as hard as they do, then you have a chance to win.”

Tip-off of Saturday’s game is scheduled for 7 p.m. in Moby Arena.

Men’s basketball beat reporter Adam Bohlmeyer can be reached at sports@collegian.com.