Authors: Trevon Millard University of Montana

(U-WIRE) – Nadya Suleman, 33, gave birth to six boys and two girls at the end of last month, and that’s not even the interesting part of this story.

She already has six children between the ages of 2 and 7. She’s unemployed, lives with her mother and got divorced in 2000 before any of her children were born.

She’s a woman who shouldn’t even consider having more kids and doesn’t seem responsible enough to raise the ones she has.

Suleman’s mother seems to agree and is threatening to walk out on her daughter, who apparently planned to pack a truckload of babies into her uterus from the get-go.

About nine months ago, Suleman signed up for in vitro fertilization, where doctors combine eggs and sperm in a laboratory then insert the fertilized egg into the uterus. Guidelines in the fertilization industry suggest no more than two eggs to be inserted, according to the American Society for Reproductive Medicine.

But this woman obviously walked in requesting eight or more embryos, and no law restricts the number of embryos inserted. Fertilization doctors just follow “guidelines,” or in this case, don’t follow them. Once it was discovered that she was indeed carrying multiple babies, Suleman reportedly declined the option of having any of the embryos removed.

Why would an unemployed, single mother living with her own mother want a total of 14 kids?

Money. Before the newborn babies were cleaned and wrapped in tiny blankets, Suleman hired two publicists.

And so far, Suleman has been doing all she can to reel in the offers. Only one other live octuplet birth has ever been reported in the United States. She’s had the second, and ever since she gave birth, the media have been pouring over her.

In this society, it seems about right. Every time some woman has triplets or anything more, you’ll see her on “The Today Show.” Matt Lauer builds her up to be some sort of hero, an icon. Later that day, she’ll be on “Oprah.”

It’s sick but true.

In this world of US Weekly and the E! Channel – where People magazine paid Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie $14 million for pictures of their newborn twins – Suleman will undoubtedly hit the jackpot, making tens of thousands of dollars per baby toe.

Suleman is already entertaining offers from around the world for interviews and first pictures of the eight babies, along with book and movie deals.