Letter to the Editor

Regarding Mercury

in Corn Syrup

Ryan Nowell,

I’m writing on behalf of the Corn Refiners Association to point out a serious inaccuracy in a story posted today about a new study that finds high fructose corn syrup contains mercury. We are very concerned that this story creates factually incorrect conclusions and may mislead readers.

The study appears to be based on outdated information since the Corn industry has used mercury-free versions of the two re-agents mentioned in the study, hydrochloric acid and caustic soda, for several years. It’s important that Americans understand that high fructose corn syrup is safe and high fructose corn syrup meets the U.S. Food and Drug Administration’s requirements for the use of the term “natural.”

ChemRisk, a leading scientific consulting firm, was asked by the Corn Refiners Association to examine the recent publication by Institute for Agriculture and Trade Policy, “Not So Sweet: Missing Mercury and High Fructose Corn Syrup,” and the Environmental Health journal publication “Mercury from chlor-alkali plants: measured concentrations in food product sugar,” by Dufault et al, 2009, and to offer comments and analysis.

Thank you for your time,

Lisa Winternitz

Corn Refiner’s Association

Thanks for Thornton

Caleb Thornton,

I just wanted to say thanks for your article this morning. It can sometimes be frustrating to open up the paper and read the opinion page, which seems abnormally slanted, so it was very refreshing to read about truth for once. I was encouraged and challenged to be more vocal about my love for our beautiful Savior. I thought the article was very well written and humbly presented, so thank you.

Julia Thornton

Foreign languages and literature graduate student

Caleb Thornton,

I want to thank you so much for speaking out and sharing your testimony in such a clear and succinct way. I agree with what you said, which is one of the first times that I can say that I agree with the Collegian opinion articles — Albeit, I don’t read the Collegian that much due to my pursuit of an education degree that takes me off of campus a lot.

I want to encourage you to keep writing truth and sharing it with this campus. I was just so excited to read what you wrote. You have a very unique ministry opportunity and I hope that God continues to use you to spread the Gospel to this campus in a way that many of us could not.

AJ Lambert

Senior

agricultural education major