Authors: Caleb Thornton

I would like to give a quick disclaimer before you read this article. Many of you may turn the page after the first few lines of what I am about to say (which probably happens more than I would like to admit with many of my articles).

All I ask is that you approach what I am about to say with an open mind, read the entire thing and then feel free to agree, disagree or turn nonchalantly to Ram Talk.

I believe there is a God.

I believe that God created the universe.

I believe that Jesus Christ, who lived, died and rose again on this earth more than 2,000 years ago was both fully man and fully God.

I believe that Christ did all these things to cover the sin of mankind of which I have taken part.

I believe that the Bible is the written Word of God.

I believe that God is still living and active in our world today.

I believe that many people disagree with something or everything I just said, and that’s OK.

I believe that just bringing this subject up makes many people uncomfortable, and that’s OK, too.

I believe, however, that I’m right — if I didn’t what would be the point?

I believe that simply because I put my faith in such things does not make me an irrational human being, but in the eyes of some it does.

I do not believe that to be a Christian you must be Republican, Democrat, Independent or hold any particular viewpoint on government. My faith does not dictate my set of beliefs about government — my logic does.

I do not believe, however, that it is possible to entirely separate my belief in God and my beliefs in how the world should run.

I believe this is the case for everyone — Muslims, Buddhists, Agnostics and Atheists — we each hold a worldview on which we base how we believe the world should run. To do so is not irrational; It is at the core of how we each live our lives.

I believe, however, that I’m right — if I didn’t, again, what would be the point?

I believe that morality, traditional values and spirituality are an essential part of our society and should remain as such. These are the cornerstones upon which our civilization has been built; To remove, replace, or ignore such values is not only dangerous to our well-being as a society but is even more dangerous to us as individuals.

I believe these values should not be imposed or actively removed from our society. This includes when they are found in the government.

I believe that Christians have screwed a lot of things up throughout history and continue to do so today. Christians are, after all, human and as such are prone to make mistakes.

I believe that I personally have made many mistakes in my life. I know that I will continue to make mistakes as my life goes on; I am, after all, human. For the mistakes that I have made and will make, I’m sorry. For some things an, “I’m sorry,” will never be quite enough, but it’s the best I can do. The rest I leave to God.

I believe that in the end every individual must choose how they will live their life and what beliefs they will ascribe to. Regardless of the fact that Christians and the Christian faith still have their faults, I have made that decision, and it is one that I am satisfied with.

Caleb Thornton is a senior political science major. His column appears Thursdays in the Collegian. Letters and feedback can be sent to letters@collegian.com.