Authors: Stephen Lin

A Colorado Bureau of Investigation agent confirmed in court Wednesday that Samuel Kase White’s DNA was found on at least one of five sexual assault victims in a case where White allegedly committed multiple crimes.

The ongoing trial against White, an ex-CSU human resources employee who was arrested on Dec. 3, 2007, began last month and pits him against 13 different charges, including burglary, harassment and trespassing.

Yvonne Woods, a CBI authority on forensics serology and DNA analysis, was one of two expert witnesses the prosecution called against White on Wednesday.

After he was arrested, DNA samples were taken from White and compared to swabs of saliva taken off of one of the victims’ neck and breast.

Woods said the likelihood that the DNA found on the victim belonged to someone other than White was “greater than one in 300 billion.”

The other expert, Darel King, a forensic analyst from Fort Collins Police Services, said he found evidence in his investigation that White used his human resources office computer to find the addresses of at least four women, who are CSU employees.

King, an expert specializing in computer crime, said he searched White’s hard drive and found files for Web pages that pointed to the addresses giving “specific turn-by-turn instructions.”

According to King, White logged on to his computer and used Yahoo! Maps to find the exact directions.

Several witnesses who lived at the addresses that White looked up confirmed that they had spoken to the defendant at the human resources office in fall 2007, and each one said he was helpful and professional.

White’s former boss, Carol Shirey, director of the department, testified that White would have “no reason” to look up the addresses of these employees. White had access to sensitive personal information but signed a non-disclosure agreement when he was hired on April 19, 2007.

The trial is set to continue at least until Friday.

Crime Beat Reporter Stephen Lin can be reached at news@collegian.com.