Authors: Elyse Jarvis

The CSU System Board of Governors, having rescheduled its first stakeholders meeting, will meet with university investors Feb. 10 to begin the process of creating a job description for the future CSU system chancellor.

The board plans to hear from students, faculty, staff and community participants alike in individual interest groups, whose input will help determine the qualifications set forth for the new chancellor, said Michele McKinney, BOG spokesperson. From there, she said, the formation of a search committee can commence.

In December, the BOG agreed that the positions of chancellor and president, both of which had formerly been designated to CSU-Fort Collins presidents, should be split. The board said it felt having a CSU system representative stationed in Denver could help the system — made up of CSU-Fort Collins, CSU-Pueblo and CSU-Global — to better represent student needs to the state legislature.

Former Sen. Wayne Allard, who contacted BOG chair Doug Jones to announce his interest in the chancellor role prior to its official creation late last year, will not attend the upcoming stakeholder meetings.

Allard, a CSU alumnus, “doesn’t think it’s appropriate to insert himself into the process until things have become formalized,” said Steve Wymer, a spokesperson for Allard.

“(Allard) really feels strongly that he should wait to respond to whatever the announcement from the board would be about the position they want to create,” Wymer said, citing the fact that a job description is not yet finalized.

Wymer said he is not aware of any communication between Jones and Allard since their initial correspondence in November.

McKinney said an additional stakeholder meeting has already been scheduled to take place in Denver on Feb. 9, with videoconferencing to be provided to areas along the western slope, including the San Luis Valley.

News Managing Editor Elyse Jarvis can be reached at news@collegian.com.