“Where is the outrage?” An e-mail from my father in early September opened with this question.

He spoke to the lack of response from my generation as the elected leadership of the nation further buried us in debt. George Washington said, “No generation has a right to contract debts greater than can be paid off during the course of its own existence.” FYI, they are about finished burying tomorrow’s generation’s grandchildren in debt.

Since Nov. 4, an upswell of audacious hope has overtaken 53 percent of the nation’s voting population. Obama, the Democrat-controlled legislature and all the elves in Santa’s workshop are going to correct six years of Republican mistakes.

Placing your faith in the federal government to do anything right is a perfect exercise in stupidity in which any person of average intellect can participate.

Let’s go way back: Franklin D. Roosevelt and his New Deal rightfully deserve a (corrected) place in the history books. FDR enacted the New Deal to create jobs from nothing, and it failed.

Unfortunately, some folks prefer to pretend the New Deal worked, ignoring the fact that the process had failed when Hitler and Japan came calling, providing almost 100 percent employment for the nation and masking the failure of the New Deal.

Democrats pushed the mortgage industry to relax loan criteria and denied any responsibility for the consequences while denying problems existed within Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac. As a corollary, Democrats purchased the votes of lower income families and minorities then able to secure loans.

Republicans are equally responsible for the housing problem; they were calling for tighter regulation before the real estate bubble burst and they continued the idiotic trend of perpetually increasing federal budgets.

Complete and total withdrawal from interference in the economy would have been the right move. That would have allowed the Darwinian processes of the economy to run their course.

Today’s U.S. economy (which, like Dick Cheney, is a heartbeat away from disaster) is a magnification of the Japanese recession in the ’90s. When Japanese citizens realized that living on credit and beyond their means was going to lead to personal disaster upon retirement, they began paying off their debts, saving and slowing their spending (thereby negatively effecting the economy.)

How is our government responding? By passing a “stimulus” bill under the subterfuge of creating jobs from nothing, funded entirely by borrowed money. Sound familiar?

Look at the text of the bill that Congress approved last week. The Democrats are simply camouflaging their pet projects behind the title stimulus, and they are doing it with money the citizens can’t repay.

Congress approved the bill the same week they (with Republican help) confirmed a man incapable of properly paying taxes to a job managing everyone else’s. Don’t get comfortable — this week they will approve a cabinet appointee with even more excessive tax fraud.

I was under the impression that the new regime was bringing change. It smells the same. If you voted Republican or Democrat in the recent election, you share the blame.

The stimulus will fail. It won’t go into the economy, and it won’t stimulate job market growth. Taxpayers have learned to either pay-off debt or save their rebates. It will, however, further bury future generations under a debt from which they cannot possibly emerge.

Your federal government should only provide three things: infrastructure, security and foreign relations. Anything else is excess.

Congressman Ron Paul is the not silent minority calling for a return to Constitutional adherence. His pleas are going ignored. Paul is among only a handful of elected leaders worthy of his office.

The rest are greedy, power-hungry professional politicians with one goal in mind: re-election. The typical legislator today would eat his own head rather than appear to be standing by instead of actively solving a recession. As a result, en masse, this legislature is ushering in the second Great Depression with lies, mistakes, greed and indifference to future generations.

Where is the outrage?

Seth Stern is a junior undeclared liberal arts major. His tirade appears Tuesdays in the Collegian. Send comments, criticism, denigration or scorn to letters@collegian.com.