Authors: Adam Bohlmeyer

After interviewing with the CU-Boulder about an open coaching position, CSU head coach Tom Hilbert has decided to stay in Fort Collins.

Hilbert, a 12-year CSU coaching veteran, announced to Athletic Director Paul Kowalczyk that he intends to remain a Ram and has withdrawn his name from consideration for the vacant CU-Boulder position.

The Oklahoma native explained that his decision was based primarily on what was best for his family.

“For social and professional reasons Fort Collins is a better place to live for my family and I,” Hilbert said. “The decision was made by me and my wife.”

Associate Athletic Director Gary Ozzello explained that CSU is still figuring out details of Hilbert’s new contract.

Kowalczyk announced via press release that he was pleased that Hilbert would remain with CSU.

“Tom (Hilbert) has built a nationally prominent program at Colorado State,” he said. “Under his leadership I know we will continue to build upon the success and tradition our program has enjoyed.”

Although he is happy to stay in Fort Collins, Hilbert explained the CU-Boulder job was appealing.

“Coaches don’t interview for jobs they aren’t interested in,” he said. “I was asked by CU to talk about it and I did.”

CU-Boulder media relations declined to comment on whether they made Hilbert an official offer or where their coaching search will be directed next.

With the decision to stay, Hilbert will be entering his 13th year at CSU. The former University of Idaho head man has enjoyed notable success with the Rams, guiding them to 12 consecutive tournaments and most recently ended the 2008 season ranked 24 in the nation.

Sports reporter Adam Bohlmeyer can be reached at sports@collegian.com.