Authors: Jessica Cline

After 10 years of residence in Ammons Hall on the Oval, the Career Center is in the process of moving permanently into the Lory Student Center’s lower level.

Giving it a more central location, Career Center Director Ann Malen said the new offices, along with its walk-in office on the LSC main level, will make their services easier for students to access and use.

“(The new location) will really benefit students a great deal,” Malen said. “Sometimes students did not realize there was a Career Center because the old location was in a more remote area.”

The move into the former Association for Student Activity Programming offices started Friday, and while unpacking is still taking place, the center is now seeing students.

Malen said since the move to the LSC main level last semester, walk-in appointments have tripled due to a consistent flow of students, encouraging the center that their facilities will be utilized more often.

“We believe we will see a much heavier traffic flow and students will feel more comfortable about engaging us,” Summer Shaffer, Career Center marketing coordinator said. “(The new space) gives us the availability to really meet one-on-one with students in an environment where students can feel comfortable and welcome.”

“It is a great space,” Malen said. “It is brighter and more welcoming. We invite all students to drop in and check it out.”

The Career Center affords students services including resume building, career exploration and research, job search help, job postings, workshops, tips for resumes and interviewing techniques.

The Career Center is just the latest in a string of department movement. ASAP, the music department and the computer science department have all recently moved to new locations.

Facilities Management employee Kristi Buffington said after all the new construction is finished there will be more moving and shuffling of departments.

She said it is not usually difficult to move a department, but it depends on a lot of variables, including the size of the department being moved, scheduling and crew availability.

The Admissions Department will be moving into the space previously occupied by the Career Center in Ammons Hall.

Malen said a grand opening will be held later in the semester, but for now their focus is on unpacking and on the upcoming Career Fair.

The new location office hours will be 8 a.m. to 5 p.m, Monday through Friday. More information about the Career Center can be obtained by stopping in or going to www.career.colostate.edu.

Staff Writer Jessica Cline can be reached at news@collegian.com.