Authors: Keith Robertson

This weekend the CSU swimming and diving team added another “W” to the win column, beating the University of Denver Pioneers 145-95. It was the third straight victory over DU for the team and a good boost of confidence going into their final meet before the conference championship.

“DU came out really fired up and ready to go,” said head coach John Mattos. “It was a seesaw battle early.”

Led by the two first-place finishes of sophomore Sam Dole, the Rams were able to overcome any competition the Pioneers threw their way. But that doesn’t mean there weren’t any close calls. The Rams lost the Freestyle relay by 1/100 of a second. DU also took first and second in the 200 individual medley, pressuring the Rams.

“We had good swims, but they pulled out some great wins on us,” Mattos said.

The final drop of water in the pool of hope for DU evaporated on Saturday as the diving squad finished the job. Competing at the Air Force Invite in Colorado Springs, the Rams were able to grab first through third in the one-meter and three-meter dives, sealing the win over the Pioneers.

The Rams had two divers finish in the top 15 at the AFA Invite. Freshman Shayna Solomon landed in 14th place while sophomore Cori Swango ended her day in 12th place.

The Rams will host Mountain West Conference rival Wyoming Feb. 6 at the Moby pool as they close out the regular season.

Swimming and diving beat writer Keith Robertson can be reached at sports@collegian.com.