FLASH MOB FREEZE

Authors: Ariel SenaCavillo

At 11:55 Wednesday morning, a siren blared across the Plaza, its persuasion and purpose leaving approximately 100 students froze in time. Some gave the person next to them chokeholds. Others whispered. Some kissed.

Shocked by the sight, passing students weaved in and out of their peers — now students-turned-statues — looking puzzled.

Three minutes later, the siren sounded again and the frozen crowd resumed with the day’s activities as if nothing had happened.

The group, dubbed the CSU Flash Mob, froze in an act of performance art called a “flash mob,” which calls for a group of people to assemble in a public place, receive a cue, perform a specific act and then disperse.

After the group recruited enough people for the flash mob through the social networking Web site Facebook, freshman civil engineering major and creator of the group James Brundage and others brainstormed ideas until the terms of the flash mob — time, date, place and action — were chosen.

The idea for Wednesday’s flash mob was formulated before the end of last semester after Brundage was inspired by several YouTube videos depicting similar events around the country.

Brundage likened the act to a well-known freeze mob by New York’s Improv Everywhere, saying the group “froze Grand Central (station).”

Freshman biological science major Eric Rithmer gathered with friends and froze in the act of playing chess.

“We just wanted to play,” Rithmer said of the reason why he and his comrades turned out for the event.

Brundage said planning is under way for the next flash mob and ideas revolve around a variety of different places, situations and numbers of people.

Old Town could be the next victim of the CSU Flash Mob, Brundage said, stressing, “There will be something.”

Staff writer Ariel Sena-Cavillo can be reached at news@colostate.edu.