Authors: Collegian Staff Report

The CSU men’s basketball team heads to Laramie, Wyo. on Saturday to face the Cowboys in the first edition of this season’s basketball Border War.

Last season, Wyoming won the series 2-1, pulling off victories in both Laramie and Fort Collins, but the Rams were able to salvage their only win of the 2008 series with a 68-63 win over the Cowboys in the opening round of the Mountain West Conference Tournament.

CSU (7-12, 2-3 MWC) has won two of their last three games this season, both in conference play. These victories can be credited in large part to the defensive efforts of Adam Nigon, who has collected six steals and nine rebounds during the wins. On offense, arguably the hottest player for the Rams right now is senior guard Willis Gardner, who has scored 11 points in each of CSU’s aforementioned victories as well as eight assists.

Wyoming (12-6, 1-3) has cooled down after a hot start to the season, losing four of their last five games, including a 79-78 loss to MWC leader TCU in Fort Worth Wednesday night. The Cowboys do have the advantage of playing at home in Arena-Auditorium, also known as the “Dome of Doom.” Wyoming is 8-0 at home this season.

Tipoff is set for 4 p.m. and will be televised on The Mtn. Tickets can be purchased online at WyomingAthletics.com or at the Arena-Auditorium box office for $15.

The Collegian Sports staff can be reached at sports@collegian.com.