Authors: Stephen Lin

Coming off a shooting incident at the beginning of this month in which three men were shot near campus, the CSU Police Department advised the Fort Collins community to take extra safety precautions in a statement.

In the e-mail released to the university, CSUPD Assistant Chief Frank Johnson recommended that students be aware of their surroundings and secure their doors and windows. He also advised students in residence halls to not let other people to “tailgate” through doors to areas that are restricted to residents.

“The safety of the campus community is always the primary goal of the CSU Police Department,” Johnson said in the e-mail.

Police also suggested that residents call the police if they see a suspicious person and to pay attention to strange or odd behavior.

Dell Rae Moellenberg, CSUPD spokesperson, said in an e-mail that the department “strives to maintain the safety of the Colorado State University Campus” and that “it’s important for each person to participate in keeping campus safe by reporting anything they believe could be a safety issue.”

Despite the shootings, many students said they still feel safe on and around campus. William Tolvo, a junior psychology major who lives in Allison Hall, said he wasn’t troubled by the incidents.

“Fort Collins is a safe place,” he said, adding that the “police have a good grip on campus.”

On Monday, Jan. 12, police responded to an emergency 911 call at 10:08 p.m. reporting that three people had been shot at the 1200 block of University Ave.

The shootings left one, Clinton M. Hiney of Fort Collins, dead and two injured. The two other victims were both males, one in his 50s and the other 36. Hiney died of as a result of excessive blood loss caused by a gunshot wound to the chest.

According to Rita Davis of the Fort Collins Police Services, police arrested Joshua Douglas Renn, a 21-year-old Loveland resident, Tuesday morning “without incident” on suspicion of first-degree murder and on two counts of attempted first degree murder.

The police have reported that the shooting was not random and Renn had a relationship with the victims.

Renn had a previous criminal record and was arrested in 2006 for controlled substance possession after a car chase with the Larimer Country Sherriff’s Office, where he was armed with a .22 caliber handgun.

Renn was denied bail and will remain in jail until his first court appearance on Jan. 22.

The U.S. Department of Justice reported an average of 173.5 homicides each year from 1996 to 2005 in Colorado. An average of 57.4 percent of these homicides involved guns, while the rest were with knives or other weapons.

The 2007 Safety Update and University Drug/Alcohol Policy released by CSU shows that there have been no murders/non-negligent manslaughters on campus from 2004 to 2006 while the Fort Collins Police Services reported five homicides in the city from 2003 to 2007. Police Services also reports that there is on average only one homicide in Fort Collins every 12 months.

Calls to 911 will route to the CSUPD if the caller is on campus. SAFEWALK campus safety officers are available to walk students to their car or nearby residence by calling (970) 491-7121.

Staff writer Stephen Lin is available at news@collegian.com.