Authors: Shelley Woll

For the students who can’t convince their roommates to watch their hairy, often slobbery best friends – their pets – over the winter break, local pet boarding offers a solution to this often stressful student dilemma.

And to ease the financial strain of boarding pets for an extended period of time, which averages ———-about $15 to $50 or more per night, Fort Collins’ newly-remodeled pet resort Country Squire is offering CSU students a 10 percent discount on a mix of amenities and products.

“We’re offering a 10 percent discount off the total of any CSU student bill,” said Country Squire Owner Mary Martin. “It can include boarding, grooming, toys, bones, exercise or whatever.”

The pet resort is located at 3320 N. Shields St. on eight acres and charges about $20 per day for dogs, depending on size, and $10 per day for cats.

As well as boarding dogs, cats and exotics, the pet resort provides doggy day care, all-breed grooming, pick-up and delivery service and sells a variety of treats and toys. Grooming is not included in the boarding rates.

The pets are housed in climate-controlled indoor and outdoor covered runs. Each pet is housed individually unless you prefer they be housed with “another family member” as Martin referred to another pet they are paired with.

A typical day for a pet at Country Squire includes outdoor exercise and pampering.

“First of all, the dogs get served breakfast in bed, unlike most of us people,” Martin said. “They get their beds made and changed daily, pillows fluffed; they’re played with, spoiled and receive lots of TLC. At night, they get bedtime cookies, which we lovingly call doggie mints on the pillow.”

Many CSU students said they worry about their pets while they’re home visiting family and take comfort knowing their dogs, cats and other furry or scaled friends are in good hands, whether professional or familal.

For Angelica Polen, a senior business major and owner of Max, a five-year-old golden retriever, boarding has never been an issue because her roommates and mother were able to watch Max in the past.

“I’m going to visit my dad in Italy over Christmas break for a month, if my mom didn’t live in Cheyenne, I don’t really know what I would do with my dog Max,” Polen said, adding she wouldn’t trust a boarder to play the role of caretaker.

Martin, who now has six dogs, two cats and two guinea pigs, said she can relate to the stress of having a pet during one’s college years. During her own college experience in North Carolina, dogs weren’t allowed in the dorms so Martin had to sneak her American Eskimo between her and her boyfriend’s room every so often.

Along with the pet resort, Martin also started a magazine for pet lovers called Northern Edition’s Dogs & Cats Magazine, which is available at Country Squire for free and in Fort Collins at local vet clinics, local businesses and pet stores including Poudre Feed & Supply.

Martin began showing dogs and eventually established the Grand Teton Kennel Club in Jackson Hole, which inspired her to move and purchase the Country Squire Pet Resort.

“It was an existing business with a wonderful reputation when I bought it and after being involved with dogs for the better part of 35 years, it seemed like the next step in my dog career.”

The pet resort recently underwent some renovation including a remodeled office, grooming salon and a new “country” makeover when wood trim and paneling were installed for an increased woodsy feel.

“With a name like Country Squire, we thought it needed a bit more country,” Martin joked.

“We’ve got plans to continue doing some remodeling in here,” Martin said. “It’s sort of contingent on the economy right now; you keep doing what you’re doing and keep it moving forward.”

Staff writer Shelley Woll can be reached at news@collegian.com.