Authors: Elyse Jarvis

After cutting almost $500,000 in campus administrative positions last month, interim CSU President Tony Frank announced today that he will cut an additional $1 million from the university’s budget to be added to a now-$1.5 million reserve fund.

The cuts, he said in an e-mail, will apply to the areas of administrative services, financial affairs, public affairs and units directly reporting to the President’s office.

“The majority of these cuts will come from elimination of currently vacant staff positions, with some additional streamlining within the units to reduce duplication of effort and create greater efficiency,” he said.

In an interview, Frank said he preferred not to comment about which positions would be eliminated, as they will be announced after the holidays.

While Frank said further cuts are not planned at this time, there may be more on the horizon should further reductions from the state occur.

“My guess is more (state cuts) are coming,” he said. “We need to act and act in ways that preserve the academic core of the university.”

He said the reserve fund would help the campus navigate the budget situation that will be reviewed with stakeholders and the CSU System Board of Governors in the next few months.

If state cuts are deep enough, CSU may have to turn to cutting open faculty positions, Frank said.

“We’d try to do that as a last resort.”

Though he said such choices are difficult and may impact colleagues and friends, he also said he “believe(s) these reductions are in the best interest of the institution and its commitment to fiscal accountability and efficiency.”

“Clearly, there are economic uncertainties and challenges ahead, but I believe we will be able to build a solid budget that will protect the academic core of the University, advance accessibility, improve some critical areas, and take some significant steps forward in assuring a long-term stable financial foundation for CSU,” he said.

CSU’s open strategic planning hearings are set for late January and its open budget hearings begin in March.

In his e-mail, Frank promised to work to keep the university closely informed as fiscal year 2010’s budget develops.

News Managing Editor Elyse Jarvis can be reached at news@collegian.com.