Our View: Mansion for money

Denver Mayor John Hickenlooper is working to support the state’s students, and he’s setting the bar high for his peers to follow in his footsteps.

Hickenlooper recently proposed selling off the mayor’s mansion, at which he doesn’t currently live, and the proceeds stemming from its possible sale will flow directly into the students’ hands, to be used toward their educational pursuits.

The 19,500-square-foot home is currently used for hosting special events and housing visiting government officials, and, pending a Daniels Fund Board of Directors decision, its proceeds would go to scholarships for higher education.

There’s nothing better than seeing a politician put a positive plan into action and lead by example. Being willing to give up a house that he doesn’t actually live in isn’t a huge thing to ask, but Hickenlooper’s decision to do so is one that some of us may not even make.

As the economy continues to suffer and state funding grows more and more scarce, it’s important we have people like Hickenlooper — officials who have the means, the know-how and the good nature — to take care of the littler people.

Gaining state support for higher education may be an uphill battle, but it’s encouraging to know that there are some in office who truly have their priorities straight.

We’re lucky to have Colorado leaders who can take an issue and find out-of-the-box solutions to solve them. Let’s count our blessings.