Authors: kelly bleck

For those book lovers or those shopping for the book lovers, there’s a plethora of new releases and delightful oldies ready to be gifted for the holidays.

After perusing many Top 10 booklists and the most frequently bought books of the year, here’s a compiled list of fiction and non-fiction. Each book has been analyzed and read by hundreds and has made it to the pile of “Buy for the holidays”.

Guaranteed to satisfy all those book lovers and create an easy shop-stop at the local bookstore, these reads will be a great addition to the holiday gift list.

Fiction:

“The Tales of Beedle the Bard,” J.K. Rowling:

The much-anticipated new book from J.K. Rowling, focusing on a book within “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.”

“When You Are Engulfed in Flames,” David Sedaris:

A humorous collection of short essays reflecting events in Sedaris’ life.

“The Likeness,” Tana French:

A murder mystery revolving around the life of police detective Cassie Maddox.

“Serena,” Ron Rash:

The story of a couple who move to the mountains to create a “timber empire.” Centers around the actions of the wife Serena and her rash decisions.

“Unaccustomed Earth,” Jhumpa Lahiri:

A collection of stories that discuss the hope for a new life that encourages people to travel to the United States, and the reality that they find there.

“Free-Range Chickens,” Simon Rich:

Rich, a Saturday Night Live writer, generates a hysterical novel that focuses on a broad range of things, with no central theme at all.

“Children of the Anunnaki: Book I of the Empire Chronicles,” Mark Barnette:

A science fiction novel, Barnette creates one man’s search for the Guardians, a group meant to protect the human race, and the events that occur once he reaches his destination.

“Beacon on the Hill,” Linda Kenney:

A historical fiction novel recounting the life of John A. Kennedy, a doctor to Booker T. Washington and George Washington Carver. Based upon Kennedy’s papers and journals.

Non-fiction:

“The Dark Side: The inside story of how a war on terror turned into a war on American ideals,” Jane Mayer:

An investigative journalist who presents her adamant argument against the war on terror.

“The Art of Everyday Joe: A Collector’s Journal,” Michael K. Corbin:

Actually a compilation of photographs, depicting great art that is affordable and in the reach of “Everyday Joe’s.”

“The World Without Us,” Alan Weisman:

Weisman presents readers with a view of the world without humans and how nature would retake our creations.

“Alex and Me,” Irene Pepperberg:

A memoir of Pepperberg’s 30-year interactions and teachings with Alex, an African gray parrot who learned to communicate with humans in various ways.

Staff writer Kelly Bleck can be reached at verve@collegian.com.