Authors: Matthew Pucak

The CSU women’s basketball team heads north to Montana to take on the 5-2 Montana Grizzlies for their first road game since Nov. 19 tonight.

The Rams have some momentum after coming off their second win of the year versus Northern Colorado last Saturday afternoon. The Rams defense held UNC to only 30 percent from the field and compiled 51 rebounds as a team in that game.

“This program needs that, to experience as much success as possible,” head coach Kristen Holt said after Saturday’s game. “For us to win this game will give the team a tremendous boost of confidence.”

The Rams are hoping for a different outcome than their last road game, when they lost by 30 points to Colorado.

“We are all excited and working hard,” senior captain Kandy Beemer said. “We have to go in with the mind-set that just because we won our last game, it does not mean we are going to win this game.”

However, the Grizzlies are a much different team than UNC in the way they run their offense and defense.

“They mostly play zone and UNC was mainly all shooters, so we will have to play a little differently on defense,” Beemer said.

“They are a lot different team than UNC,” forward Juanise Cornell said. “Montana is a predominant zone team, so our shooters will have to step up and shine.”

The Grizzlies are coming into tonight’s game on a two game winning streak, defeating Oregon and Boise State last week.

Tonight’s game will be a tough test for the Rams as they are going up against one of the winningest coaches in NCAA Division-I history, Robin Selvig.

Selvig won his 700th game recently and is ninth in wins among all active Division-I coaches in his 31 years of coaching the Grizzlies.

Two players for Montana, Mandy Morales and Sonya Rogers, have been doing great this year for the Grizzlies. Morales is averaging 16 points per game and her teammate Rogers is scoring an average of 12 points in Montana’s seven games this season.

On the other end, the Rams ended their six game streak of allowing an opposing player to score 19 points or more in a single game last Saturday.

One of the Rams’ players that has shined in the past three games has been the freshman Kim Mestdagh. Mestdagh has scored an average of nine points per game and is shooting 33 percent from the three-point line, proving herself to coach Holt that she can be a starter.

The tipoff in tonight’s game is set for 7 p.m. The Rams will return home to Moby Arena Sunday to face the Northern Iowa Panthers.

Women’s Basketball beat reporter Justin Warren can be reached at sports@collegian.com.