Authors: Madeline Novey

Amid an increasingly conflicted world ridden with war and economic crisis, peace and human rights activist Richard Reoch will offer ways in which to ease these stresses through speech and meditation tonight in the Lory Student Center.

As a life-long Buddhist and expert in oriental medicine, author, former global media chief for Amnesty International from 1978 to 1993 and president of the Shambhala, a global community of more than 170 Buddhist organizations, Reoch will offer his insight on ways to cope with life stresses through contemplation and meditation.

The speaker series and the workshop, titled “Making Peace Possible,” is a part of Inviting Wisdom, a program funded by the Bohemian Foundation.

“Richard is a very informed and impassioned speaker and he really is very dedicated to teaching people and promoting peace in our world,” said Rene Everson, executive director of the Fort Collins Shambhala Meditation Center. “This is a great opportunity for CSU and the whole Fort Collins community to hear him speak.”

The talk will be held in room 230 of the LSC from 7 to 9 p.m. The cost is $12 for the public, $7 for students. In addition, he is scheduled to teach an extended workshop on Saturday, Dec. 6 in the Grey Rock Room in the LSC from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. The workshop is open to the public and the cost is $35 for the public, $20 for students.

Traveling around the world and presenting in “conflict” regions, Reoch most recently organized a Buddhist peace delegation that met with war victims, nuns and monks in Sri Lanka, an area ravaged by civil war off and on since July 1983. As a result of his actions, diplomats joined together to form the International Working Group, an international group dedicated to furthering the establishment of peace on the island.

Trained in oriental medicine and a teacher of meditation at the Shambhala Mountain Center in Red Feather Lakes, Reoch will teach local community members to deal with the stresses of modern life using speech, listening and meditation techniques he used in international settings.

Event coordinators said that Reoch’s experience with peace activism and his Buddhist connection, while mutually exclusive when it comes to his work, combine to make him an expert in the field of stress release and a perfect candidate for the workshop.

“I think the world needs better tools and better skillful means to deal with aggression and conflict, and Richard knows what those tools are and what has worked for him in the world,” said Adana Barbieri, the program coordinator for the Inviting Wisdom speaker series. “Bringing his worldly experience together with the Buddhist wisdom, can help each of us discover our peaceful core that is our nature, and when we have more familiarity with that, we can work more skillfully and less aggressively with others.”

Assistant News Editor Madeline Novey can be reached at news@collegian.com.

Authors: Madeline Novey

Event Information

What: “Making Peace Possible” talk by peace activist Richard Reoch

When: Friday, Dec. 5, 7 to 9 p.m.

Cost: $12 for the public, $7 for students

Where: CSU LSC room 230

What: “Making Peace Possible” workshop taught by Reoch

When: Saturday, Dec. 6, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Cost: $35 for the public, $20 for students

Where: CSU LCS Grey Rock Room

For both sessions $40 for public; students $25