Authors: Shelley Woll

As Johnny Cupcakes says, “people like what nobody else has,” and no one else touts a clothing company with a cupcake and crossbones.

Hosted by the Association for Student Activities Program and CSU’s chapter of the National Society of Collegiate Scholars, the 26-year-old entrepreneur will tell students about his unique company that has garnered him millions of dollars in just under a decade.

Cupcakes, legally known as John Earle, is famous for his self-titled clothing line, which features cupcakes replacing iconic symbols in pop culture. He is most famously recognized by his line’s insignia of a cupcake and crossbones.

“We thought Johnny Cupcakes’ lecture would be a really great message for the times right now,” said Jesse Casaubon, ASAP’s event coordinator. “With the economy being the way it is we thought it would be great to hear from this guy who’s a young entrepreneur and built a successful business from scratch.”

At only 19, Cupcakes created his multi-million dollar empire by selling T-shirts out of the back of a van while on tour with the metalcore band On Broken Wings.

As his popularity grew among concertgoers, Johnny expanded his line to include shirts, shorts, sweaters, jewelry, undergarments, belts and pins.

Now, he owns two trendybakery-themed boutiques, the first in his hometown of Boston, Mass., located on one of the most expensive streets in the world, Newbury Street, and a recently opened store in Los Angeles, Calif.

Business Week magazine named Cupcakes America’s No. 1 young entrepreneur of 2008.

“I think his lecture is going to be very inspiring to students in terms of what they’re able to do with their time here at CSU and after,” Casaubon said. “I hope they’ll learn a lot about what he’s done to make himself successful.”

Cupcakes will speak in the Lory Student Center’s East and Middle Ballrooms at 6 p.m. tonight. It is free and open to the public./

Staff writer Shelley Woll can be reached at news@collegian.com.