Authors: Collegian Editorial Board

More than 25 years after the Center for Disease Control gave it a name, AIDS and its cause, the HIV virus, continues to kill thousands of people in the U.S. every year, and even more worldwide.

According to the CDC Web site, through 2006 an estimated 566,000 have died in this country from AIDS since it started tracking AIDS-related deaths in the early 1980s.

A worldwide figure is nearly impossible to quantify, but the Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS “2007 AIDS Epidemic Update” estimates that 2.1 million people total died from AIDS in 2007.

While scientists work to find a cure, ignorance and misconceptions about the disease and those affected by it persist.

World AIDS Day, now in its 20th year of operation, seeks to combat the stigmas and stereotypes of the disease through education.

This afternoon at 3:30 p.m. in the Lory Student Center Art Lounge, the Office of International Programs/International Education, Hartshorn Health Center, the Department of Psychology and the Northern Colorado AIDS Project will hold a candlelight vigil for the victims of this disease.

Attendees will also be given the chance to learn what they can do for those currently struggling with the HIV/AIDS.

In addition, NCAP will be on campus to offer free testing HIV testing in the LSC on Wednesday as part of World AIDS day.

The Collegian encourages any and all to attend these events and to take the time to learn more about HIV/AIDS.

Knowledge is the best weapon against this deadly disease. Arm yourself, CSU.