Authors: Kelli Pryor

The steady beat of the drum kept the tempo as people milled around the room, studying the various art pieces displayed. The opening of a new exhibit showcasing contemporary Native American artists in CSU’s Duhesa Lounge Thursday marked the end of Native American Awareness Month.

Various artists, many members from the Taos Pueblo in southern Colorado, were given the opportunity to display their crafts, paintings and pottery from now until May 2009. CSU alumnus and curator of the exhibit, Carole Grant was grateful for the opportunity to showcase her paintings as well as put together the exhibit.

Grant graduated in 2001 with a fine arts degree and was able to exhibit her art on campus during her last semester.

“To be able to come back [to CSU] is an experience I never thought I would be able to do,” Grant said. “It means a whole lot to me.”

RamNation, the CSU Native American drum group, entertained the exhibit attendees with an authentic drum and song performance.

“We had a better turn out this year compared to previous years,” Delbert Willie, a member of RamNation, said of Native American Awareness Month.

The members of RamNation perform around the state at various cultural events to raise awareness of Native American heritage.

The exhibit was among many other programs CSU’s Native American Student Services put on for Native American Awareness Month and was the final event for the month.

“The month went really well,” said Ty Smith, director of Native American Student Services. “Every year it is getting bigger and better.”

Smith said this year they focused on making the month a collaborative effort with not only CSU, but also with the community as a whole.

Staff writer Kelli Pryor can be reached at news@collegian.com.