Authors: Jessica Cline

Students, medical professionals and volunteers from student organizations helped smokers to quit the habit Wednesday on the Lory Student Center Plaza, just one day before the 33rd annual Great American Smokeout.

CSU’s College Against Cancer Club, along with the Hartshorn Health Services, The Wellness Zone, Arnold Airforce Society and Silver Rings hosted the daylong event, encouraging individuals to quit smoking for a day or set a date to do so.

Graduate assistant with Conflict Resolution and Student Conduct Services Jeff Rosenberry said the group’s goal was “to get students to learn about the effects of smoking and give up their cigarettes for at least just a day.”

At the event, volunteers passed out kits containing information and resources on how to successfully quit smoking, gave support from experts and displayed statistics about cancer.

“There are a lot of detrimental things about lung cancer and cigarettes that people don’t realize, like that they aren’t actually only damaging themselves,” said Colleges Against Cancer President Kyle Carter.

According to the American Cancer Society, “Tobacco remains the single largest preventable cause of disease and pre mature death in the United States.” They estimated about 438,000 deaths a year due to cancer, 38,000 of which are due to second-hand smoke.

The event also kicked off registration for CSU’s Relay For Life, held April 24 and 25 on campus, to support fighting cancer and raise money for the American Cancer Society. Students were encouraged to create teams and fundraise for the relay.

“. Teams help with fundraising and participate in a walk through the night to remember, celebrate and fight back against cancer,” Rosenberry said.

Relay For Life is one of the fundraising events that CSU holds to support the fight against cancer.

“There are a huge percentage of cases (of lung cancer) that are preventable, and lung cancer is leading cause of cancer deaths. And it is preventable, so it definitely needs to be acted upon,” Carter said. “If you can cause one less case of cancer it’s totally worth it.”

Staff writer Jessica Cline can be reached at news@collegian.com.