Authors: Justin Warren

The CSU women’s basketball team lost their second game of the season Wednesday, falling to rival Colorado 93-63 in front of 3,558 fans at the Coors Center in Boulder.

While standby problems with traveling violations and free throw shooting were not a problem for the Rams, fouling, field goals and poor defensive play in the second half plagued the team.

“Our biggest problem right now is fouling,” said senior captain Kandy Beemer.

CU made 22-24 of their free throw attempts, which was their best free throw shooting performance since 2001.

Brittany Spears and Kara Richards dominated the Rams defense, scoring a combined 49 points for CU. Spears was also a force in the inside, finishing the game with 10 rebounds.

“Obviously (Spears) is good all around, so it’s hard to help off her,” said forward Juanise Cornell. “She can shoot the three, so it is hard.”

In the second half, the Rams were only able to shoot 28.9 percent from the field and 11.1 percent from the three-point line, scoring 28 points.

CU however blew the Rams away in the second half of play, scoring 51 points and shooting 57.1 percent of their field goals.

Richards helped her team out by scoring 14 consecutive points in the final 10 minutes of play for CU.

Head Coach Kristen Holt was not thrilled with her team’s performance in the final half of play.

“We came out flat in the second half,” coach Holt said. “You can’t just play a half. I was pretty pleased with the first half, but the beginning of the second half was a big let-down for us, and we couldn’t come back.”

At the half, the Rams were still in the game, down by seven.

“We were down by seven and honestly we had not been playing well prior to that,” said guard Bonnie Barbee. “We needed to come out in the second half strong and not be OK with starting out flat.”

The Rams played the first half aggressive on both offense and defense, out-rebounding the Buffs 20 to 18 and creating eight turnovers.

“They are a physical and athletic team and I don’t think they showed that like they should have,” Barbee said.

Beemer led the Rams in scoring with 15 points, and Barbee was right behind her with 13 points.

Carine Reimink finished the game tied with Cornell for the most rebounds with seven.

Next up for the Rams is the home-opener at Moby Arena against Idaho on Nov. 22.

Until then, CSU will continue to work on the problems facing the team in their practices.

“I was happy with our turnovers being down,” coach Holt said. “There were positives, but I am disappointed it was a 30-point ending.”

Women’s basketball beat writer Justin Warren can be reached at sports@collegian.com.