Authors: Lauren Weimer

You may be familiar with the rule, “An apple a day keeps the doctor away,” but aren’t sure if it means eating more fruit or using a Red Delicious as a self defense mechanism from those poking, prodding fingers of the family practitioner.

You might think Ruffles count toward your daily vegetable intake and Pop Tarts are a sufficient morning brain food. You might even go a day or two without consuming anything but Chocolate Caramel Dr. Pepper and toast.

You’re pretty comfortable with your diet and your body (maybe you have a few extra pounds here or there, but who doesn’t, really?), and you don’t know a calorie from calamari.

Generally speaking, you’re just inadequately educated about nutrition or plain aren’t interested.

“When people hear opinions and ‘facts’ that differ from what they already know about food, they become confused and aren’t sure what to believe. This can lead to frustration and even feelings of hopelessness when a person is trying to make food choices,” said Ally Mrachek, a dietetics graduate student.

You probably have a lot of questions and maybe don’t know where to look for the answers. Maybe those few extra pounds are weighing on your mind, but you don’t know how to conquer what seems like such a feat.

You probably have heard more than once that your current dietary habits determine your health later on.

This describes “the oblivious student.” Does this sound like you?

If so, don’t be ashamed; you have a million other things to fill your brain with while in school. There are a number of resources on and off campus.

If you want to talk basic nutrition, ask a student or faculty member in the Food Science and Human Nutrition department. After a few years here we ought to be pretty savvy, not to mention full of free advice.

If you’re bored at home, check out http://www.mypyramid.com and explore the database of nutrition tips and information.

If you’re in the Lory Student Center on Thursdays, visit The Wellness Zone and talk to the nutritionist.

Check out “Ask the Nutritionist” at the Campus Recreation Center on the first Thursday of every month. You can talk to a Registered Dietitian by setting up an appointment at Hartshorn to get some valuable information for a low price.

If you can be classified as overweight or obese, a personalized weight loss program called “Weight for Me” is available at Hartshorn as well. For a reasonable price, this program combines nutritional consultations at Hartshorn and personal training sessions at the Rec Center to help you reach your goals.

For more information on health programs, you can contact the Hartshorn Health Promotions front desk at (970) 491-1702 or The Wellness Zone at (970) 491-2634.

Lauren Weimer is a senior nutrition and food science major. Letters and feedback can be sent to letters@collegian.com. Phoenix Mourning-Star’s column will return the week following fall break.