Authors: Justin Warren

After a crushing 82-47 loss last year, the CSU women’s basketball team is looking for revenge in the classic CU vs. CSU showdown tonight in Boulder.

Tonight’s game marks the 39th match-up between the two in-state schools. The Buffalos hold a significant winning margin, leading CSU 28-10 and defeating the Rams six times in the past 10 match-ups. CU has also conquered the Rams 18 times when playing in Boulder, making this game a very tough one for the CSU on the Buffs’ home court.

Last Saturday, the Rams forced Wichita State into overtime, only to fall to the Shockers 76-69.

The loss to the Shockers could have been credited to three main sources – foul trouble, the 26 turnovers committed by CSU, and fatigue from the players caused by a severe absence on the bench.

As the “National Anthem” was playing, head coach Kristen Holt received the news that starting point guard Zoi Simmons would have to sit out the game because of an ailing knee injury. Coach Holt turned to sophomore guard Bonnie Barbee to fill Simmons’ position, who responded by scoring 16 points.

“I have a lot to work on in that position,” Barbee said. “I felt that I did alright.”

Since Simmons is still recovering, Barbee has been given the start for tonight’s game against the Buffaloes.

Tonight, the Rams’ starting five will not have to endure countless minutes of play as they did in last game because 6-4 center Devran Tanacan will be returning from her one game suspension to aid her team. “I am excited to get her back,” coach Holt said. “She is going to really help us. We could have really used her on Saturday.”

On Saturday, Nov. 15, many players saw a lot of minutes on the court, none more than senor captain Kandy Beemer who played a total of 40 minutes.

“I didn’t really feel bad but I think we got stagnant,” Beemer said.

This week in practice, coach Holt worked on correcting her team’s fouling and traveling mistakes, and working on free throw shooting. “I had two assistant coaches watching for fouls and traveling calls and every time they committed one, they would have to run,” coach Holt said. “Usually running makes and impact.”

Three players still remain inactive for the Rams: Simmons, Natalie van den Adel and Chatilla van Grinsven.

However, the Rams plan to continue their run-and-gun offense and their aggressive defense with coach Holt’s hopes of less fouling.

Tipoff is scheduled for 7:07 p.m. at the Coors Event Center in Boulder and the game will be televised on “Fox Sports Net Rocky Mountain.”

Women’s basketball beat writer Justin Warren can be reached at sports@collegian.com.