Authors: Elyse Jarvis

Former Sen. Wayne Allard will consider taking the post of CSU chancellor should the CSU System Board of Governors decide to split the president and chancellor roles.

Having just stepped down after 12 years in the U.S. Senate, Allard has been considering his next career step, and supporters such as State Rep. Cory Gardner, R-Yuma, have suggested that the BOG consider Allard for the position, said Steve Wymer, Allard’s spokesperson.

“(Allard) has been contacted by people suggesting him for the position, and he is responding with ‘Yes, I am absolutely interested,'” Wymer said.

Wymer said that although it is typical that a retiring politician’s name begins to pop up when new positions become available, the chancellor position is one that is special to Allard.

“Sen. Allard and his wife, Joan, both bleed green and gold,” Wymer said.

Both are alumni, Wymer said, having graduated in1968 after meeting at CSU. Allard is the third generation of his family to attend the university.

“They both have more awards from CSU than from anything else on their shelves,” Wymer said.

Wymer said Allard is “honored and very much interested in pursuing the opportunity to serve as chancellor should it arrive,” but he specified that Allard would only be interested in the chancellor position.

“(Allard) is certainly a better fit for a fundraising, legislative and figurehead position,” Wymer said. “That’s where his interest would be if it develops.”

Wymer said Allard would not be interested in pursuing the presidential position for the CSU-Fort Collins campus.

Should the BOG officially decide to split the positions, Wymer said that Allard would outline his goals and thoughts to the CSU community if he was announced as an official candidate for the chancellor position.

“Allard would expect to come to campus and sit down and talk to a variety of faculty, staff and students and outline his visions for the university and the work he’s done for and with CSU over the years,” Wymer said.