Authors: Madeline Novey

Daniel Price, a 20-year-old Fort Collins man who hit and killed CSU staff member Rebecca Allen in July, pled guilty to vehicular homicide and careless driving in a plea agreement Friday, waiving the right to a jury trial.

For count one, a Class 3 felony charge of vehicular homicide, Price faces a sentence of between four to 12 years to be served at the Colorado Department of Corrections, five years mandatory parole and up to a $750,000 fine.

For count three, a Class 1 traffic misdemeanor of careless driving resulting in death or injury, which Judge Jolene Blair, the Larimer County judge presiding over the case, said was the “proximate cause” of Allen’s death, Price agreed to a sentence of two years of probation that he will serve consecutively with the other sentence.

The state dismissed count two, driving under the influence, because the elements of the DUI charge were included in the vehicular homicide charge.

At a hearing on Jan. 16, Blair will determine Price’s sentence. Members of the Allen and Price families will have an opportunity to speak at the hearing.

Linda Jensen, a spokesperson for the D.A.’s office, said Price will likely be sent to the Colorado Department of Corrections in Pueblo.

At about 5:20 a.m. on July 22, Price hit two bicyclists with his car from behind while driving on West Drake Road.

Allen, an advisor in the Department of Journalism and Technical Communication, was transported to Poudre Hospital where she later died of her injuries. Her friend, Jennifer Garvey, who suffered serious injuries, was treated at the Medical Center for the Rockies.

Assistant News Editor Madeline Novey can be reached at news@collegian.com.