Authors: Collegian Editorial Board

In a message sent to the CSU community on Friday, Interim President Tony Frank outlined his future plans and goals for the university, which included a commitment to “improved communication and open, collaborative decision making.”

He also announced the elimination of several central administrative positions, freeing up about $500,000 in funds formerly tied up in administrative salaries.

In the short term, these funds will be held in reserve as a buffer against cutbacks resulting from the state of the economy. However, should no cutbacks be required, this money will be reinvested in the fiscal year 2010 budget with an eye specifically toward academics.

What does this mean for CSU students? It means, after a five year shift toward increased administrative spending, academics may again be the central focus of the higher-ups in administration.

And, with Frank’s apparent dedication to transparency, it looks like the CSU community will finally be kept in the loop about decisions that affect our money and the way the university is being run.

After years of being kept in the dark of the activities of CSU administration, this is a step in the right direction.

Good job, Dr. Frank, for setting out to accomplish what the CSU community has been in need of, and with a little less than two weeks on the job. For this, the Collegian salutes you.

Keep up the good work. You’re off to a strong start — don’t disappoint us.