Authors: Justin Warren

The CSU women’s basketball team heads to Wichita, Kan., for the first regular season game of the year against the Wichita State Shockers this Saturday.

After winning the first two exhibition games of the season, the Rams will have momentum Saturday afternoon as they face off against a team that finished last season 9-21.

“I think the exhibition games were a good way of starting out,” said head coach Kristen Holt.

The Shockers are coached by Jody Adams, who will be experiencing her first regular season game as a head coach this weekend. So far this year the Rams have faced off against Division-II opponents and Saturday’s game will be the start of Division-I play for the Rams.

Holt said her team continued to work on the new offensive and defensive format she is trying to install in this week’s practice.

“We talked about moving to a different level of opponent and it will be a different type of pressure we will be under with better players and better shooters,” Holt said.

Holt will press her team to continue the aggressive defensive play and her run-and-gun style offense that scored 96 points in last Friday’s game.

“The plan is to play aggressive and stay out of foul trouble with three players down from what we were last week,” she said. The Rams will be without 6-foot-4-inch center Devran Tanacan, who is one of three players that will not be traveling with the team this weekend.

Last week Tanacan played a huge part in the Rams rebounding as well as forward, Juanise Cornell.

Two freshmen,Chatilla van Frinsven and Natalie Van Den Adel will also be forced to sit out this week due to a penalty enforced by the NCAA for failure to maintain the three international athletes’ amateur statues.

Van Grinsven will be absent from the roster for the first four games, however, Van Den Adel will be suspended for the first 27 games of the season.

The starting line-up for the Rams will likely be (barring a game-time decision) senior guard and team captain Kandy Beemer, sophomore point guard Zoi Simmons, junior forward Juanise Cornell, senior Britney Minor, and senior center/forward Carine Reimink.

“It will be totally awesome to win the first game,” coach Holt said. “I coached there before and I know the players and team.”

Tip-off is scheduled for 1 p.m. Saturday.

Women’s basketball beat reporter Justin Warren can be reached at sports@collegian.com.