Authors: Jessica Cline

Half-foot snips of hair will be falling today at Tuana’s Salon in the Lory Student Center as Greeks and other volunteers donate hair at the third annual Panhellenic Locks of Love hair drive from 2 to 8 p.m.

The drive asks participants to donate six inches of hair to Locks of Love, a non-profit organization helping financially disadvantaged children with long-term medical hair loss.

“Last year we were able to donate over 100 feet of hair and we’d love to do even better this year,” said Tricia Lemmer, Panhellenic Council president, via email. “This is a great opportunity for the entire campus to get involved with.”

Currently 20 people have signed up for the drive, but the coordinators hope to gather more participants. During last year’s drive, 80 women donated hair, adding up to over 100 feet — 70 more feet of hair than the previous year.

Sam Baker, a sophomore technical journalism major, donated 10 inches last year because she said she had donated before in high school and thought it was for a good cause.

“I did it because I have donated my hair to Locks of Love, and it was a really good experience. It is mind blowing how something so ordinary and miniscule can make such an impact. All I did was cut off some extra hair at the hair salon,” Baker said.

Senior business major Tricia Lemmer, who will be donating her hair at this year’s drive, agreed.

“I have been growing my hair out for about a year for this and I chose to donate because I think it is really important to give back to people who are not as fortunate as us and I think this is a really easy way to do that,” Lemmer said.

All hairpieces are hand-made from donated hair to give to children who suffer from a disease called alopecia areata or have suffered hair loss from burns or cancer treatments.

“(The hair drive) is going to a good cause, and you are helping out a kid (who) really needs this — so it is a win win situation,” said Kelsey Christofferson, Panhellenic Council vice president of Community Service.

All participants donating hair will receive a free professional haircut from the Tuana Salon stylists. Hair can be dyed but not bleached, and only six inches are required.

“We started this as a tradition, but it’s a great way to help out the community, and it’s something all of us can be involved with,” Christofferson said.

Staff writer Jessica Cline can be reached at news@collegian.com.