Authors: Adam Bohlmeyer

The next two weeks will be a shootout for the Colorado State Rams.

After a loss to the Air Force Falcons 38-17 Saturday night, the Rams are now in a pack of three 4-6 teams clogging up the middle of the Mountain West Conference standings.

CSU currently stands fifth in the MWC, ahead of Wyoming and UNLV, with two games left in the season. CSU must be perfect the rest of the season to attain the necessary 6-6 record for bowl eligibility.

Wide receiver Dion Morton explained that there is now a lot of pressure on the Rams but said it was a good thing.

“I don’t mind pressure and I don’t think we have the type of team that will bust under pressure,” the CSU junior said. “We still have confidence going into these two games and we’ll play like it.”

CSU quarterback Billy Farris didn’t want to put any more pressure on the team but said he still likes the team’s chances to win out.

“They are both winnable games,” the CSU senior first year starter said. “If we can go out there and play our game and not worry about that type of stuff, I don’t think that puts a lot of pressure on us. We aren’t too worried about that.”

The Rams are slotted to start the final push for bowl eligibility next Saturday as they host New Mexico (4-7, 2-5 MWC) at Hughes stadium. CSU will then travel to Laramie for a showdown with the Wyoming Cowboys a week later (on Nov. 22).

Head coach Steve Fairchild said he isn’t worried about bowl eligibility. The first year coach explained that he’s more concerned with long-term goals.

“Nobody said we were going to conquer the world this first year,” he said. “We are just learning to practice, learn how to be physical and learn how to play. We have never talked about bowls, and I’m not going to. My concern is that we get better every time we go out to practice.”

Even with Fairchild’s mentality, Morton said he still has thoughts about how much a bowl appearance would mean to CSU.

“We have definitely been talking about it,” he said. “We’re content for a bowl eligible season and we’re looking forward to these next two games to see where we’re at.”

Football beat reporter Adam Bohlmeyer can be reached at sports@collegian.com.