Authors: Stephen Meyers

In its final tune-up before the regular season, the CSU Men’s Basketball team defeated Division II Adams State 81-55 Saturday night at Moby Arena to finish the pre-season 2-0.

Senior guard Marcus Walker and sophomore forward Andy Ogide led the team with 15 points each as part of a balanced offensive attack with four players in double figures.

The Rams never trailed and led by as much as 30 in the second half, but Head Coach Tim Miles said there is still much to improve.

“We have work to do and that’s what these games are for,” said Miles. “When you play a smaller level opponent you can work out your kinks that you know you’re not great at.”

One area to work on is assists to turnover ratio. The Rams only garnered 14 assists on 35 field goals and turned the ball over 21 times.

“Our ball movement was ok. We still dribble it too much and we still get our head down,” said Miles. “We’ve got to be a really good ball reversal team if we’re going to be good. It’s going to take a lot of work, but that’s my job as coach.”

Ogide agreed with Miles.

“We should have passed the ball a little more. I think we had more turnovers than assists and that’s not good,” said Ogide.

The team tried to run an inside-out offense, running many of its plays through Ogide in the post. He only shot 3-7, but he went to the free-throw line 10 times, making nine.

On defense the Rams stayed in man-to-man with the exception of one possession and held the Grizzlies to 32.7 percent shooting.

“We played one possession of zone, which was plenty for me,” said Miles. “Zone is something we have to work on. In the second half, defensively I thought we created more turnovers and got things going.”

Ogide said it was tough playing against the D-II Grizzlies.

“It’s hard to play these types of games because it’s hard to get up,” said Ogide. “Next week you got to, you have no choice.”

The Rams begin regular season play with a home date against Montana Friday November 14.